- Legal Assistant
We will accept applications for the position until it is filled.
Who we are:
The Civil Liberties Defense Center (CLDC.org) is a nonprofit organization that supports movements that seek to dismantle the political and economic structures at the root of social inequality and environmental destruction. We provide litigation, education, and legal and strategic resources to strengthen and embolden the success of those movements. Our motto is “Assert your rights, we’ve got your back.” We have provided pro bono activist defense to over 4,500 social, environmental, and climate justice activists, as well as providing free Know Your Rights and related trainings to over 10,500 people. Our offices are headquartered in Eugene, Oregon.
We are seeking a full-time legal assistant with a minimum of two years of experience, who also has an
environmental/ social justice movement orientation, to work directly with three to five lawyers on
activist criminal defense cases, plaintiff’s civil rights, and activist SLAPP defense cases. Strong
organizational skills, trial preparation, producing and filing briefs, and discovery management skills
are essential for this position. The legal assistant will report to the Senior Attorneys but will support all
lawyers by maintaining file systems, drafting documents, assisting with local rule compliance for case
filings, including e-filings, assisting with communications, maintaining a legal library, and more.
In addition, the legal assistant will be expected to contribute to our Dissent & Democracy program by
helping to conduct public education trainings.
We are looking for a well-rounded activist legal assistant who brings hard work, initiative, commitment,
and passion for our work, our clients, and the progressive movements we support and defend. The ideal
candidate will have environmental/climate and/or social justice movement background, as well as
experience working on state and federal civil and criminal cases. This position is located in our Eugene,
- Two years minimum experience as a legal assistant in a law office setting.
- Strong litigation support skills, research and writing skills; file organization and management; excellent
- Able to meet deadlines, prioritize and perform multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail;
- Demonstrated commitment to civil and human rights, racial and climate justice, and environmental and
- Excellent diverse people skills, culturally competent, anti-racist, anti-oppression orientation; and
strong team member desired
- Bilingual English/Spanish speaker strongly preferred
- Experience in community organizing work and/or social justice activism
- Experience with security culture and digital security
- Experience in a non-profit legal services organization
Compensation and Benefits:
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and competitive public interest
compensation. This position is full-time, 40 hours per week, based in our Eugene office
- Salary range starting at $36,000-42,000 commensurate with experience
- Flexible work schedule (when not under litigation deadlines)
- Generous holiday, vacation, and sick leave policies
- Some professional dues paid by CLDC
- Benefits include paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, $400/month health care reimbursement, professional development budget, flexible work schedule, and other perks!
Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission
and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal
opportunity affirmative action employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that
employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race,
color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition,
veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic
information or any other factor that is not related to the position. We seek to redress past discrimination
through active measures to ensure equal opportunity in employment.
The CLDC will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.
How To Apply:
Interested candidates should submit:
- Cover letter stating your interest or litigation experience;
- Two writing samples, ideally relevant legal memoranda, briefs, and/or pleadings; and
- Three professional references and at least one environmental/social justice activist reference
Please send all materials in a single PDF to office[at]cldc.org– Subject: “[Your last name]—Legal Assistant.”
Please, no phone calls, hard copies, or drop-ins. If you’re having technical difficulties submitting your
application or questions, please reach out to charles[at]cldc.org.
Download the position announcement here.