Social Justice Organizer
Position to Start April 1st, 2017
We are accepting applications until March 15th or until the position is filled. To apply send a resume, cover letter, & three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “Social Justice Organizer Application” in the subject line.
Who we are:
The Civil Liberties Defense Center (www.cldc.org) is a nonprofit organization focused on defending and upholding civil liberties through education, outreach, litigation, and legal support and assistance. The CLDC strives to preserve the strength and vitality of the Bill of Rights and the U.S. and state constitutions, as well as to protect freedom of expression.
The organizer position will: (1) plan and facilitate our annual Next Generation Climate Justice Action Camp; (2) assist in the development of our Anti-Racist Community Forum program; (3) serve as a liaison to our local community, focusing on developing stronger relationships between the CLDC, marginalized communities, and local grassroots organizations; (4) assist in building on our existing free trainings, workshops, and educational seminars, which currently include various tailored Know Your Rights, legal observer, cop watching, FOIA request, and trainer trainings; (5) and mentor and/or direct a growing number of CLDC interns/volunteers.
The CLDC is currently looking for an experienced organizer to serve as our Social Justice Organizer. This person will work directly with the Executive Director, attorneys & Associate Director.
- Salary $32,000-$40,000, commensurate with experience
- Minimum two-year commitment
- The position will be based out of our office in Eugene, but some travel will be required.
CLDC Social Justice Organizer
Candidate must demonstrate a strong ability and experience with organizing, time management & project planning, as well as a strong commitment to civil rights, grassroots organizing, and social justice. This staff position will work closely with a committee of volunteers (across the state), interns, and teens, to organize and plan all aspects of the Next Gen action camp, as well as our public education trainings, & further our community organizing efforts—particularly immigrant communities, and those experiencing police misconduct and racial profiling, and government and corporate repression. Experience working with teens, Latino and/or Middle Eastern communities, as well as volunteers is highly preferred. Candidate should enjoy working with diverse groups and possess strong interpersonal communication skills. Our primary aim is to empower, mobilize, and unite community members to build our local grassroots community organizing power through effective, interactive leadership development forums and workshops. Strong preference will be provided to bilingual Spanish speaking candidates.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Working with volunteers & interns to plan the Next Generation Climate Justice Action Camp.
- Work with the Executive Director & Associate Director to develop, organize and coordinate volunteer and internship program.
- Work with the Executive Director to further develop our Anti-Racist training program and schedule trainings.
- Build relationships with other organizations and community organizers and connect them with CLDC resources and trainings to support their organizing.
- Engage with CLDC partners to evaluate what resources we can provide them to better assist their organizing.
- Delegate tasks to office interns and volunteers as appropriate; oversee intern and volunteer work.
- Work with the Executive Director to maintain and expand CLDC’s website and social media channels to increase CLDC’s visibility.
- Perform other related duties as assigned to accomplish overall purpose of the position, including administrative tasks and public events, as necessary.
Experience and Qualification Requirements:
- 2 years of community organizing or outreach experience.
- Experience working with youth, volunteers, & interns.
- Strong organizing, time management, and project management skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and familiarity with a wide range of social and environmental justice issues, including civil liberties, animal rights, environmental, racial justice and immigrant rights.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Must be proficient in English grammar; Spanish language skills strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail; Ability to prioritize tasks, work independently and meet deadlines.
- Experience with social media tools including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Ability to work effectively with a diversity of individuals and organizations, including progressive organizations, direct action activists and historically disenfranchised communities.
- Willingness to assist with fundraising including writing grants and supporting fundraising events
- Must be proficient using Macintosh computers, Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). Experience with graphic design (Adobe Photoshop, InDesign) and video editing software highly preferred.
The Civil Liberties Defense Center is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of color, women, people with disabilities, and gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people to apply.